This is a wonderful dish which will make your day and the best thing is that red chilli powder is not added in it. It is made in cracked black pepper, tomatoes and normal salt. Do try this and enjoy your Eid with family and friends …
- 750 gms diced lamb/ mutton or beef (You can use meat with bones, there is no difference in the method of cooking and preparation)
- 2 onions sliced (medium to large size)
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tbspns meat tenderizer (best meat tenderizer is green papaya paste)
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 tspn ginger paste
- 1 tspn garlic paste
- 1 tspn red chilli paste (OPT) (For Hot Flavour)
- ½ tspn cinnamon powder (fresh)
- 2 cloves and 2 big cardamoms crushed
- 1 tbspn cracked black pepper
- ½ tspn of nigella seeds (kalonji seeds)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup yogurt
- A pinch of turmeric
FOR WHOLE GARAM MASALA
- 1 big cardamom
- 1 small cardamom
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- Few fenugreek seeds and leaves
- ½ tspn cumin seeds
- 2 – 4 green chillies sliced vertically
- A bunch of green fresh coriander chopped
- Few juliennes of ginger
-Marinade meat in vinegar and meat tenderizer (best meat tenderizer is green papaya paste) for 12 – 14 hours.
-Heat oil in a deep pan and add onions and whole garam masala and fry until onions change their color. Now add lamb pieces, turmeric and ginger garlic paste. Stir fry for 10 minutes. Now add salt to taste on low medium heat cook the meat.
-When the moisture vanishes and oil comes up, add yogurt and tomatoes and other spices except black pepper and cook on low heat until it takes a form of masala. This process will take approximately 20 minutes.
-Now add black pepper and stir. Take it out in a dish and garnish with garnishing ingredients written above.
-Serve hot with naan bread or tandoori roti.
Tasty and aromatic mutton karahi is ready to serve.