Fish biryani is not a delicacy but just another version of Biryani. After combining 4 recipes; 2 from my family, 1 from YouTube and 1 from a friend, and adding some of my own ingredients, I came up with my very own recipe which I am sharing with my Ayesha’s Kitchen family. This recipe is extremely easy, quick and yum if you follow whatever is written below…..
FOR FISH KORMA
- 500 gms boneless fish cut into 3 finger sized chunks (I used gummy in Australia, you can use any fish which is not flaky) I like using gummy for my curries, soups & gravies as it does not have any strong odor and it does not break while cooking. My second favorite for this kind of cooking is Barramundi. Barramundi does not break as well but has a good fishy odor which I like.
- 2 tbspns yogurt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tbspns chopped coriander & mint
- 1 tspn freshly crushed ginger, garlic & green chilli
- A generous pinch of salt (to taste)
- 1 tspn red chilli powder
- A generous pinch of carom seeds (ajwain)
- A generous pinch of caraway seeds (shahi zeera)
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- ½ tspn paprika
- ½ tspn turmeric
- 1 tspn coriander powder
- A generous pinch of amchur powder
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 tson garam masala (1 big cardamom, 2 green cardamoms, ½ tspn fenugreek leaves, a piece of cinnamon, 3 cloves, 4 peppercorns, a piece of mace and a dash of nutmeg)
- ½ cup oil
- 1 medium sized onion (sliced)
- ½ cup fried onions
- 4 – 5 lemon slices
- 2 tbspns chopped mint & coriander
- 2 sprigs of dill
- 1 tomato
- Water + 1 tbspn salt + 1 star aniseed + 3 cloves + cinnamon + 1 big cardamom + 2 small cardamom to boil rice
- 2.5 cups basmati rice
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tspn ghee
- Few drops yellow food colour
- 1 tspn freshly crushed ginger, garlic & green chilli
- Combine all the spices given for fish in a bowl and add ginger, garlic and chilli paste along with lemon juice.
- Apply this paste to fish chunks and keep aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the veggies, soak the rice and put a pot on stove with water, salt, spices& dill sprigs to boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, add soaked rice and cook until the rice are 90% done.
- Add 2 tbspns of yogurt to the marinated fish and mix. (We add yogurt to fish 10 minutes before cooking so the fish does not break in the curry)
- Drain the water and keep the rice aside.
- In another pan, heat some oil and fry onion. Add crushed ginger, garlic & chilli to it and saute’ until the onions are golden. Add tomatoes & curry leaves and cook on medium heat until the tomatoes are done. Add a splash of hot water if needed.
- Reduce the flame to low and add fish chunks to masala in a single layer and cook covered for 10 minutes. Flip the side and cook for further 5 minutes.
- In the rice boiling pot, lay a layer of par boiled rice, then lemon slices, chopped coriander and mint and half of the fried onions, then fish masala, then rice and then another layer of lemon slices, chopped coriander and mint and the remaining fried onions. Splash some yellow food colour, add some ghee on top and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Take off the lid and gently mix the biryani with a straight spoon or a spatula. Let it rest for 5 minutes with lid open and then take it out onto your serving dish and serve hot.
A Pakistani BBQ delicacy, loved by all!
FOR FIRST MARINATION
- 2 barramandi whole (butterflied) (scales off)
- 1 big size lemon (Australian lemon) or 4 small size (Pakistani lemon)
- 1 tbspn salt
- 2 tbspns freshly crushed ginger and garlic
- 1 tspn carom seeds (ajwain)
FOR SECOND MARINATION
- 1 tbspn heap full red chilli powder
- A pinch of yellow food colour (optional)
- 1 tbspn freshly crushed small green chilli
- 1 tbspn heap full chaat masala
- 1 tbspn heap full freshly ground cumin
- 1 tbspn heap full cracked coriander seeds
- 1 tbspn chilli flakes
- A generous pinch of salt
- 1 tbspn besan
- 2 tbspn mustard oil
- 1 tspn olive oil
- 2 curry leaves (2 because you don’t want to overpower the taste of curry leaves)
- Wash the fish & pat dry with paper towel. Put it in a big marination tray.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, crushed ginger & garlic and carom seeds and mix. Cut the lemon in half and dip it in salt mixture. Now gently massage the fish from inside & outside by squeezing lemon gently. Dip it is salt mixture when you feel like it is diluted.
- Once the salt mixture and 2 halves of lemon is done, cover the fish with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, 8 hours before grilling, combine all the spices for second marination in a mixing bowl and mix. Apply in to the fish by gently massaging it inside and outside (more inside part).
- Put it back in the fridge for 8 hours.
- Just before grilling, heat some mustard oil and crackle curry leaves in it to infuse the flavour.
- Spray the BBQ cage with olive oil and line the fish. Heat the charcoal BBQ and start BBQing the fish. Keep the heat to medium and grill the fish by flipping the sides frequently and applying the curry leaves infused mustard oil with the brush.
- It will take total 15 minutes to cook the fish.
- Serve hot with salad, roti & chutney.
Another recipe for fish fry but only Ambarsari this time 🙂
Amritsar is well known for good food after Delhi in India, they have their specialities like Amritsari fish, Amritsari hareesa, Amritsari Kulcha and Ambersariya 😀 😀 😀 😀
- 1 kilo blue grenadier/ basa fillets cut into small fillets
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbspn red chilli powder
- 3 tbspns ginger, garlic, coriander and green chilli paste
- 3 tbspns lemon juice
- 3 tbspns vinegar
- 1 eggs
- 4 tbspns besan (gram flour)
- 2 tbspns rice flour
- 1 tspn carom seeds
- 3 tbspns yogurt
- Oil for deep frying
- Cut fish into 1.5 to 2 inch cubes. Squeeze some lemon juice, add salt and red chilli powder and mix into fish cubes. Add vinegar, paste and carom seeds and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Mix in gram flour, egg and yogurt and keep aside for further 20 minutes. Meanwhile heat oil to 190 degrees Celsius and fry fish until its brown and crisp. Serve hot with mint sauce.
This is my 3rd or 4th recipe of fried fish and all of them are different with different flavors. This is a very simple and lite recipe, not too spicy and it is a crowd pleaser! You can make fish bites with this recipe as well and everyone will love it …. ❤
- 3 fillets/ 1 kilo of blue grenadier (cut into large chunks)
- 3 tbspns soy sauce
- 1 tbspn cracked coriander seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbspns vinegar/ lemon juice for more flavour
- 1 tbspn cracked black pepper
- 5 tbspns corn flour
- 1 tspn garlic powder
- 1 tspn ginger powder
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
- Wash and dry the fish fillets and mix in everything except oil, egg and corn flour.
- Keep marinated for 2 hours.
- Add corn flour and egg and mix well.
- Keep aside for another 30 mins.
- Heat oil to 190 degrees Celsius for deep frying.
- Fry for 5 minutes or until crisp and brown.
- Serve hot with tartare sauce.
Pan Seared Snapper Cutlets is my very own recipe for my lazy days, when I want to eat something healthy but I am too tired to make something fancy. Its quick, its healthy, its delishhhhhh…..
- 1 whole red snapper (cut into cutlets)
- Some salt
- Some lemon juice
- Some red chillies crushed
- ½ tspn finely chopped garlic
- Some coarsely ground dry coriander
-Mix everything in a bowl and spoon over the fish cutlets.
-Flip the sides of the fish and make sure it’s well coated. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
-Heat a frying pan, drizzle some olive oil and cook the fish 5 minutes on each side.
-Take it onto the serving dish very carefully as it has tendency to break after cooking.
My favourite pizza when I go to La Porchetta …..
I like the aromatic taste of smoked salmon combined with salty capers and red onion on cheese pizza base………
- One pizza base
- 100 gms smoked salmon
- 3 tbspns marinated caper berries
- 1 cup freshly sliced mozzarella
- 1 red onion cut into thick rings
- 3 tbspns authentic classic pure tomato pizza sauce (no herbs or garlic added)
- 1 tbspn olive oil (to brush on the sides of the crust)
-Prepare the pizza base on the baking pizza tray.
-Brush the edges with olive oil and spread the tomato paste on the base.
-Put some mozzarella cheese and bake for 20 mins or until the top is bubbly and golden brown in a preheated oven (180 degrees Celsius).
-Take out and put smoked salmon slices, capers and red onions on it and serve.