Aalu Papri Chaat is a famous chaat in South Asia Sub Continent. It is a street snack often consumed during shopping or after school or college. The preparation time for this recipe is more than assembling time, but its really easy and each and every second is worth it.
- 1 large potato (cut into small cubes and boiled to perfection, chilled)
- 1 cup boiled chickpeas
- 2 cups papri/ Namak Paare
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1 tomato (deseeded and chopped)
- 2 small green chillies chopped fine
- 2 tbspns date and tamarid sauce or meethi imli chutney
- 4 tbspns nimko/ sev (I used Haldiram Navratan)
FOR MINT SAUCE
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 green chillies (small size)/ 1 green chilli (if you don’t want too hot)
- 1 cup yogurt whipped with ¼ cup water
FOR YOGURT SAUCE
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tbspn sugar
- ¼ cup cold water
FOR SPICY SAUCE
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tbspns chaat masala
- ¼ cup water
- Cut and boil the potatoes and chop all the veggies.
- Let’s make all the three sauces:
- Mint sauce: in a mortar and pestle, crush mint, coriander and green chillies and add salt. Mix with whipped yogurt.
- Yogurt Sauce: Whip all the ingredients together.
- Spicy Sauce: Whip all the ingredients together.
- Now it’s time to assemble the chaat. Due to Papri and yogurt we can’t assemble and keep this chaat for long as the papri will get soggy so please assemble it 5 minutes before serving to get the best taste.
- In two plates divide papri, chickpeas, onion, tomato, potato ad green chillies for each serving. This recipe will make two servings.
- Now in the serving plate, first lay a layer of papri, some onion, tomato, chick peas and potato. Drizzle some of each sauce. Add remaining onion, potato and tomato and then another drizzle of each sauce. Drizzle some tamarind sauce and sprinkle some sev or nimko and serve.*Please make sure the sauces and the potatoes are chilled.