Home Made Biryani Masala

Avoid using commercial spices because they contain artificial colours and preservatives which are sometime injurious to health, they can be a cause food poisoning and direa. So try to make these special masalas at your place …

FOR 1 kg meat and 2 cups of rice

Ingredients:

POWDER

• Salt to taste
  • 2 tbspns red chilli powder
  • 1 tbspn ginger powder
  • 1 tbspn garlic powder
  • A handful of fried dehydrated onions
  • 2 tbspns of cumin seeds
  • 4 dried curry leaves
  • 1 tbspn nigella seeds (kalonji)
  • ½ tbspn turmeric powder
  • 2 tbspn whole dry coriander
  • 4 green cardamom pods
  • 2 black cardamoms
  • 1 tspn methi dana
  • 1 piece of cinnamon 4cm
  • 6 – 8 cloves
  • 1/2 tspn amchur powder

WHOLE GARAM MASALA

• A piece of cinnamon stick
  • 2 cardamoms green
  • 1 star spice
  • 4 black cardamom
  • 2 dried red chillies
  • 4 cloves
  • 4 black peppercorns
  • 2 curry leaves
  • 1 bay leaf

FOOD FLAVOURS

• 4 tbspns Lemon juice
  • Few drops of Kewra essence
  • Few drops of aniseed essence

Procedure:

-Combine all the ingredients give for powder in a spice blender and blend into powder.

-Now combine this powder and whole garam masala and use.

Chef’s Advice:

I will advise you to keep powdered masala and whole masala separately, because whenever I cook Biryani, I add whole masala first into oil to infuse all the flavours and then powdered masala when cooking my tomatoes.

Lemon juice can be used as citric acid, obviously you don’t have chemistry lab at home. And kewra is the special kind of essence that is used to give a unique Biryani flavour. So don’t forget it.

In all my Biryani recipes, I have written Whole garam masala, if you are using this recipe of biryani masala then avoid that one.

This is a very simple biryani masala, you can adjust the hotness by adding red chilli flakes or red chilli powder.

This recipe is for basic biryani, more biryani masala recipes are now there.

Advertisements

24 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Trackback: Kofta Biryani (Meatball Biryani) « Ayesha's Kitchen
  2. Trackback: Kababeesh (Kabab Biryani) « Ayesha's Kitchen
  3. welmalah
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 23:25:42

Hi Ayesha,
    you are doing a great job. I wnent through some recipes and I’m so eager to try the biryani. I heared a lot about it but never tasted it so. I’ll follow yr instructions.
    just I do not understand what is :
    1) Kewra essence
    2) methi dana
    also, when would I mix the food flavors.
    thanks a lot and keep up the good work

• ayeshahaq
      Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:27:57

Kewra is a special essence which is widely used in Pakistan for adding a nice smell to the food……. you can use aniseed essence….. its the same thing!
      Methi dana is Fenugreek seed which is easily available at any South Asian grocery store.
      add food flavors at the end……. when your biryani is all done and cooking on low heat.
      For any other questions or details please feel free to contact me 🙂

• goodgenie4u
        May 13, 2011 @ 22:07:07

Fenugrgeek seed is what’s missing and some tamarind

• ayeshahaq
        May 14, 2011 @ 21:02:35

Love, Methi dana is fenugreek seed and I dont use tamarind in my biryani (Pakistani Biryani) as it is quite unhealthy and unhygienic! try my version and u will love it.

4. nafesa
    Jun 20, 2011 @ 18:35:20

lovely recipes

5. Trackback: Kabab Biryani (Kababeesh) « Ayesha's Kitchen
  6. Love Pakistan
    Apr 25, 2013 @ 03:17:46

wao nice.hr recipe ek e jgah.gud

7. Khurshed
    Nov 25, 2013 @ 09:14:40

Lovely to make home made biryani masala . Great work. Love your recipes

8. Dil Chahay Foods
    Feb 06, 2014 @ 23:59:06

Ayesha g koi company btain jo biryani essence acha bnati ho

• Ayesha Haq
      Feb 08, 2014 @ 19:57:18

make it yourself. I have recipe on my site uder “Masalhajaat” tags. I dont like using store bought mixed spices.

If you cant make it and you want me to refer a brand then “Shan” is the best, i guess. Use Sindhi biryani masala for mild and Bombay Biryani masala for hot flavor.
      😀

• Ayesha Haq
      Feb 09, 2014 @ 22:52:47

you can use kewra essence its same as biryani essence.

• Mushtaq Ebrahim
      May 03, 2014 @ 21:55:33

Hi
      I am a food technologist and working on recipes.
      I have different flavors. if you want any you may contact me.
      I am from Karachi.
      you may contact me via email: mushtaqebrahim@gmail.com
      Thanks

9. Mushtaq Ebrahim
    May 03, 2014 @ 22:03:25

But normally for home made Biryani you can follow Ayesha Haq
    That is good

10. Amna
    Jul 18, 2014 @ 20:04:51

How would you measure two cups of rice? Maybe 500 gms each cup?

11. zubi
    Feb 22, 2015 @ 02:10:35

from where i can get dehrdated onions???

• Ayesha Haq
      Feb 23, 2015 @ 11:52:32

Dehydrated onions can be found in the spice section of your local grocery store or you can fry the onions and keep them on a paper towel to drain access oil and you get dehydrated onion. 🙂

12. Madhav Modi
    Mar 15, 2015 @ 02:12:36

No men of sheffron. Is it possible to think of biryani without Sheffron.

13. Www.HandiRoti.Com
    Aug 12, 2016 @ 23:20:14

very nice blog ayesha keep it up fantastic recipes and delicious taste also visit my blog for tasty yummy Pakistani Style Recipes Sweets Appetizers Cusinese and all other types of recipes http://Www.HandiRoti.Com