It is my version of Lahore Chatkhara’s Papri chaat, a must try!
- 2 cans of chickpeas/ 4 cups of boiled chickpeas
- 2 potatoes, medium sized, boiled and cubed
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 bengali green chillies/ 2 thai chillies finely chopped
- A pinch of red chilli powder
- 1 generous pinch of crushed cumin
- 1 generous pinch of kaala namak
- 1 generous inch of chaat masala
FOR MINT SAUCE
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
- ½ tspn roasted cumin
- Some salt
- ½ tspn saunt
- 1 ½ cup thick yogurt
- ½ cup chilled water
- 2 tbspns date and tamarind sauce
- 2 tbspns caster sugar
- 2 cups papri (fried spring roll/ small samosa sheets is the easy way to make it)
- Chaat masala, as desired
- Combine everything needed for channa mixture in a mixing bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl combine all the ingredients for chutney except yogurt, water and tamarind sauce.
- Now it is up to you if you want to use mortar and pestle to crush it or you can mix grind it with the hand mixer. I prefer mortar and pestle because I am a traditional kinda chef but it depends on what you are comfortable with. If you are using a hand mixer or blender or grinder you can add that ½ cup of water then otherwise we will mix it as we mix in yogurt and tamarind sauce.
- Check the salt and spices, adjust it to your liking.
- Pour the yogurt sauce over the chickpeas and mix.
- Take it out in the serving dish and refrigerate until served. Just sprinkle papri & chaat masala before serving or it will get soggy.
This recipe if for yummy, creamy, mustardy and oniony potato salad. The flavours added to this potato salad makes it comfortable with all kind of grilled meat/ BBQ or fried steaks or if you have an open salad bar for your guests, this is a great addition. Very simple and easy to follow recipe is below…..
- 3 large potatoes (cut into big chunks)
- 1 cup full cream sour cream
- 2 tbspns mayonnaise
- Some cracked black pepper
- A pinch of chicken salt
- A generous pinch of table salt
- 2 green onions (green part chopped)
- 1 tspn fresh chives (chopped)
- A pinch of dill
- ¼ tspn mustard powder
- 1 tbspn mustard
- Peel and cut potatoes into big chunks and put them in cold water with some salt. Boil until the potato is done but still in shape which is 98% done.
- Drain the water and put the potatoes in colander to remove all the excess water and cool down.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for dressing and whisk.
- Add potatoes and mix gently.
- Refrigerate for 1 hours.
- Serve with grilled meat or schnitzels.
My very own creation and the only salad I like 😀
Ideal for summer BBQs
Ideal for roast dinners
Ideal for light lunches
Ideal for weight watchers
It is not some ordinary boring salad. Very flavoursome and zesty, the combination of mint and lemon in dressing is outclass and the sweetness of grape tomatoes and subtlety of avocados make it fun and tempting to eat.
- 2 avocados (cut in to medium cubes)
- 1 medium red onion cut round
- 1 continental cucumber cut into cubes or semis
- Leaf lettuce (chopped up rough)
- 250 gms grape tomatoes (cut in halves)
- 1 tspn lemon zest
- 4 tbspns lemon juice
- 1 tspn olive oil
- Some cracked black pepper
- Some table salt
- Some fresh chopped up mint
- Wash and cut all the vegetables. Put them in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix everything given for dressing and pour over the vegetables.
- Mix and toss.
I am not a big fan of mayonnaise based salad but this one is my favorite, I add a little amount of mayo and more sour cream which makes it lite and delicious. I made it today and everyone on the table loved it. The best thing about this salad is it can be used as salad or as a filling to your baguette or bagel or any bread. So try this salad and let me know how you go with it 🙂
- 1 apple, diced
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced crimson grapes
- 1 cup pan roasted chopped walnuts/ pecans
- 1 chicken breast, boiled and diced
- 2 tspns mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- Wash and cut all the fruits as instructed. Boil the chicken and dice it after cooling it.
- In a mixing bowl, combine may and sour cream and season with some salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and all the fruits and nuts and mix well.
- Serve on your favorite salad platter or use it as a filling for your sandwich.
Its a normal garden side salad but I have added some feta cheese (because I love it), some olives (because they are nutritious) and a drizzle of lemon juice (for taste) and olive oil (for flavor)….. The extras make it Greek inspired. Go perfectly with Pan seared or grilled salmon, Roast chicken and any rice dish…..
- 1 Red onion cut into thick rings
- 1 Tomato (deseeded) cut into cubes
- Some fancy lettuce mix
- Some green mix
- Some rocket leaves
- 1 200 gms Danish feta slab (cut into cubes)
- ½ continental cucumber cut into thin slices
- Some olive oil
- Some lemon juice
-Take your salad bowl or dish and fill it half with greens. Now add some tomatoes and cucumbers and then place some red onion rings on top.
-Chuck in some Danish feta and toss to mix everything.
-Drizzle some olive oil and lemon juice on top and serve.
This is the recipe for the same Lobya salad which is served on weddings in Pakistan ….
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- Some green coriander chopped
- 1 tomato deseeded and chopped
- 4 tbspns lemon juice
- Some chaat masala
- Some black pepper
- 1 cucumber chopped
-Strain the beans and wash them with cold water until the sticky preservative material is washed properly. Keep aside for 5 mins to drain the access water.
-Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and season with masalas and lemon juice.
-Mix and serve.