A very easy pleasy summer squeezy fish dinner, light on stomach & time 🙂
- 500 gms boneless fish chunks (I use Gummy in Australia, you can use any) + 2 tbpns lemon juice & salt
- 1 onion (grated)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 8 – 10 curry leaves
- 1 tspn nigella seeds + 1 tspn fennel seeds + a pinch of carom seeds + 1 tbspn coriander seeds + 1 tspn cumin seeds (crushed together)
- 1 generous pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tspn Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ cup cooking oil + ¼ cup cooking mustard oil
- 1 tbspn ginger & garlic paste
- 4 green chillies (sliced)
- Some warm water
- Marinate fish chunks in lemon juice & salt and keep refrigerated for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil (cooking + mustard) and fry onion & ginger garlic paste until it is light golden in color but not brown or dark brown.
- Add curry leaves and green chillies and saute for 2 minutes until the flavour comes out.
- Add tomatoes and, salt, chilli powder & turmeric and cook covered on medium heat for 3 – 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add some hot water and cook the masala. You may need to add little water multiple times to cook the masala. Do not add all the water at the same time otherwise the masala will be very over cooked and bad in taste. This process is called “Bhoonna” in Pakistani cooking.
- When the oil oozes out and the masala looks cooked, add fish and the spice mix and give gentle stir. (We add these spices at this point because we don’t want them to burn or over cook and it affects the color of the curry too)
- Add 1 cup of warm water and cook covered on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes until the fish is cooked and the curry oozes out the oil.
- Garnish with some coriander if you want and serve.