So this is my favorite breakfast platter inspired by Jolly Miller (local Melbourne café). Melbourne is in lockdown stage 4 due to Covid 19 and all the restaurants are closed. I was missing this beauty from my local café “Jolly Miller” so I decided to give it a go….. and it turned out better than them 😀
Pro tip: make the hash browns first as they are time consuming. Rest I have tried to explain everything here, if unsure about anything, please ask in the comments.
- 50gms smoked salmon
- 2 light rye sourdough
- A lot of butter at room temperature
- Some greens to garnish
- A pinch of smoked paprika to garnish
- 2 eggs
- A saucepan full of water
- Some salt
- A splash of vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- A pinch of salt
- A splash of lemon juice
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
- ½ cup button mushrooms/ portobello (sliced)
- 1 tbspn butter
- A pinch of dried Italian herbs
- 1 tbspn cream
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbspn lemon juice
- Some cracked black pepper
- 2 sticks of Halloumi cheese (fresh Halloumi please!)
- HOME MADE HASHBROWNS/ AMERICAN DINER STYLE HASH BROWNS
- 1 large potato (grated)
- Butter & oil
- For poaching the eggs, fill your 22cm saucepan half with water and bring it to a boil. Add distilled vinegar. Now crack the egg in a small bowl and very carefully take it near the boiling water. Dip half of your bowl in the water and leave the egg in the water. Do same with other egg. Let them cook for 30 seconds and then remove the saucepan from the heat and cover it for exact 3 minutes.
- Whist 2 egg yolks with a pinch of salt and lemon juice in a microwave safe bowl. Whisk well and gradually add hot melted butter with constant whisking. The constant whisking will cook the eggs with the heat of melted butter. Microwave for 20 seconds and voila!…… Hollandaise sauce is ready.
- Melt some butter in a pan and sweat the mushroom slices. Add cream and season with some Italian dried herbs. Ready!
- Remove the pit and the skin of the avocado and combine it in a bowl with a splash of lemon juice & a sprinkle of cracked black pepper. Smash it with the fork, leave it a bit chunky and it is ready.
- Make sure the Halloumi cheese is at room temperature. Cut two or more sticks from the slab. Heat the grill pan to max and grill the cheese 1 minute per side.
HOME MADE HASH BROWN
- Grate the potato and put the gratings in a sieve. Run cold water through until all the starch is gone and water runs clear. Keep the water draining for 10 minutes and then spread it on a clean kitchen towel. Make sure it is dry. Put the potato back in a clean dry bowl.
- Heat the frying pan and melt some butter and oil. Take a handful of grated potatoes and place it in the oil and spread it even. With the flipping spoon give it a shape and let it cook for at least 5 minutes on medium heat or until the side is crispy. Flip it and season with some salt and let the other side cook for 5 – 8 minutes. Splash some oil on the sides to give it the extra crispiness.
- Take it out on the plate.
Apply some butter on the sourdough bread and toast until golden and crisp.
Smoked salmon should be on room temperature so it doesn’t feel cold when served.
When everything is ready arrange them onto your serving plate and serve.