Famous Thai soup!
The words “tom yam” are derived from two Thai words. “Tom” refers to the boiling process, while “yam” refers to a Thai spicy and sour salad. Tom yum is characterized by its distinct hot and sour flavors, with fragrant spices and herbs generously used in the broth. The soup is also made with fresh ingredients such as lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice, fish sauce, and crushed red chili peppers.
- 300gms tailed, cleaned prawns/ shelled prawns
- 2 Thai chillies (red)
- 5 cups water
- 1 small shallot (diced)
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1 stalk lemongrass (cut into chunks)
- 4 – 5 Kafir lime leaves
- 3 – 4 slices of Galangal
- 4 – 5 sprigs of coriander
- 6 – 8 mushrooms
- 4 tbspns store bought Tom Yum chilli paste or 6 – 8 red dried chillies (soaked in ¼ cup soy bean oil & ¼ cup lime juice overnight) (crushed into paste) (picture of store bought below)
- Put everything except for the chilli paste, mushrooms, coriander & prawns in a pot and let it boil for 20 minutes. Add shrimp, mushrooms & chilli paste and cook for further 10 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked.
- Pour it in the serving pot and serve with few sprigs of fresh coriander.