Bengan pakora is my favorite pakora. I like my mixed veggie pakoras too but bengan pakora has a special place in my heart. The bland yet unique taste of eggplant and crispy spicy gram flour batter makes it unique and out of this world recipe. This is my version and I love my version 😀
- 2 cups gram flour
- ½ tspn baking powder
- Some cold water for medium thick batter
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbspn crushed red chilli dry
- ½ tspn turmeric powder
- 2 tbspns cracked coriander seeds
- 1 tbspn green chilli paste (fresh)
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 1 tbspn pomegranate seeds (crushed)
- 3 tbspns chopped fresh coriander
- Some chaat masala
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 brinjals/ eggplants/ bengan/ bataoon cut into medium thick slices
- Combine all the ingredients given for batter except water and mix. Now gradually add water, whisking at the same time to get the right consistency of the batter. It should not be too thick or too runny. The consistency of the batter should be good enough to coat the veggie.
- Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oil to 190 degrees Celsius or hot enough that you put the batter in and it floats to the surface of the oil, bubbling within 10 seconds.
- Now dip and coat the brinjal slices into batter and fry until its crisp and brown on the outside. Take them out onto your serving platter and sprinkle some chaat masala (optional).
- Serve hot with mint chutney or just as it is. They taste great.