Bhuna Gosht (Mutton)


Bhuna Gosht has many variations in Pakistan but this is my very own recipe. I find it more flavorful and desi, the tempering of kashmiri chilli powder and fenugreek leaves make it more special. Try my recipe and let me know how you go with it…. I am sure your family and friends would love it.

20160904_163452

Ingredients:

  • 1 – 1.5 kilo mutton with ones
  • 2 medium sized onions, sliced
  • 4 – 6 green chillies
  • 3 tomatoes, sliced
  • 2 tbspns heap full of fresh ginger and garlic (crushed)
  • 1 cup oil or ghee + 2 tbspns extra
  • Some water

SPICES

  • Salt to taste
  • 1 tbspn Kashmiri red chilli powder
  • 1 tbspn red chilli flakes
  • 1 tspn heap full turmeric
  • 1 tbspn coriander powder
  • 1 tbspn garam masala powder
  • 1 tbspn cumin seeds
  • 1 tspn whole cloves
  • 1 tspn whole peppercorns
  • 2 cardamoms, slitted
  • 1 tbspn fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)

GARNISH

  • Green chillies
  • Fresh coriander

Method:

  • Heat oil or melt ghee in a cooking pot and fry onion until it is translucent. Add ginger, garlic, cumin, cloves and peppercorns and fry until the onion is golden brown and ginger garlic is cooked.
  • Add mutton pieces and fry until the meat changes its color.
  • Add salt and fry until the water from the meat gets dry. Add 2 cups of water and cook until the meat in tender or add one (1) cup of water and pressure cook for 30 mins after the whistle.
  • When the meat is 85% cooked and the water is dried from the pot, add rest of the spices, tomatoes and green chillies and cook for further 10 – 15 minutes on medium flame. The moisture from the tomatoes will cook the remaining 15% of the meat. Add a splash of water if needed.
  • Meanwhile in a frying pan, melt 2 tbspns of ghee or heat 3 tbspns of oil and fry cardamom, fenugreek leaves and Kashmiri chilli powder for 30 secs and add this to the cooking pot.
  • Give it a final mix and garnish with some green chillies and coriander.
  • Serve hot with roti or naan.
Advertisements

3 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. domestic diva
    Dec 09, 2016 @ 10:23:11

    can’t wait to try this..

    Reply

  2. Amy
    Jan 18, 2017 @ 09:03:16

    What should be the size of tomatoes. Ur dish looks so tempting though.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: