There are 50 or more different recipes of making fried chicken but this one is my favorite. Its flavorful and the crust has got all that crispiness and rustic taste you wish for in a fried chicken. Try this recipe and I bet you will love it ❤
- 1 – 1.5 kilo chicken with skin (cut into 12 pieces)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbspn tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbspn onion powder
- 1 tspn garlic powder
- 1 tbspn chicken salt
- 1 tspn salt
- 1 tspn paprika
- 1 tspn thyme
- ½ tspn sage
- 1 tbspn cracked black pepper
- ½ tspn white pepper
- 2 cups SR flour
- 2 tbspns corn starch
- Some salt and pepper
- 2 eggs + 4 tbspns milk
- Wash and pat dry chicken pieces with paper towel and prick them with fork. Put them in a big zip lock bag.
- In a mixing bowl, combine rest of the stuff except the breading ingredients and oil for deep frying. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture on chicken pieces in the zip lock bag and seal the zip by taking all the air out. Mix with your hands so that each chicken piece is coated in the marinade.
- Refrigerate overnight or for 12 hours.
- Heat oil to 180 degrees Celsius for deep frying.
- Meanwhile, take out the chicken pieces and let the extra buttermilk drip off.
- Arrange your breading station; combine SR flour, corn starch and salt and pepper in one bowl and rest in another bowl.
- Now take one chicken piece at a time and first coat it with SR flour mixture, then egg wash and then again in SR flour mixture and put it on a tray.
- When all the chicken pieces are done, take the first one you breaded and fry in that order for 15 minutes on medium heat per piece/ batch. Fry in batches depending on the size of your fryer.
- Take out onto a wire rack to avoid soggy crust.
- When you are done with frying all the chicken pieces, serve hot with chips, gravy and coleslaw.