You can be really creative with puff pastry, it can have sweet fillings, savory fillings or anything you want. Chicken & muhroom swirls is my version of chicken puff pastry and every time I made it my guests loved them 🙂
- 2 puff pastry sheets (thawed but chilled)
- Some cream cheese spread (I use Philadelphia)
- Some sesame and nigella seeds
- 1 egg and 4 tbspns milk (egg wash)
- Some parmesan or cheddar cheese
FOR CHICKEN FILLING
- 1 chicken breast (boiled and shredded)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 3 tbspns flour
- 100 gms butter
- 1 ½ cups milk
- Cracked black pepper
- ½ tspn white pepper
- ½ tspn chicken salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Apply cream cheese on each puff pastry sheet and Cut each one of them into 6 long strips.
- In a saucepan melt butter and add flour. Stir until the four is well combined with butter. Gradually whisk in milk and make a thick paste. Remove from flame.
- Season with all the spices and add chicken and mushrooms to it. Mix and make a spread consistency mixture. Apply this mixture on each strip of the pastry sheet. Sprinkle some cheddar or parmesan and roll each strip into a swirl.
- Place all 12 swirls onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush the egg wash on them, sprinkle some nigella seeds and some sesame seeds and bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Take the tray out, let it cook for 5 minutes and the carefully transfer each swirl on the serving platter.
- Serve hot.