There are more than 10 ways to make hash browns depending in which part of the world you are eating. This is the most easy & authentic recipe for American diner style hash brown which complements anything you make for breakfast.
ALERT: It is highly addictive!
The buttery crispiness of potatoes is so irresistible!
- 2 potatoes (Russet/ Australia/ Ruby/ any potato of your choice)
- Some butter at room temperature
- Some cooking oil
- A generous pinch of salt
- Grate the potatoes and put the gratings in a sieve. Run cold water through until all the starch is gone and water runs clear. Turn off the tap.
- Keep the water draining for 10 minutes and then spread it on a clean and dry kitchen towel and pat dry the potato gratings. Put the potato back in a clean dry bowl.
- Heat the frying pan and melt some butter and oil. Take a handful of grated potatoes and place it in the oil and spread it even. With the flipping spoon give it a shape and let it cook for at least 5 minutes on medium heat or until the side is crispy. Flip it and season with some salt and let the other side cook for 5 – 8 minutes. Splash some oil on the sides to give it the extra crispiness.
- Take it out on the plate and serve with some poached eggs, mushrooms & smoked salmon or anything you like.