Chicken Paalak….. one of the famous dishes in Pakistani home cooking but not everyone knows how to make the best one. Everyone knows how to make it but some people know how to make the best one. This is my recipe and it is the best one 😀 I don’t like the spinach smelling too much like spinach so I add fenugreek to it, they go hand in hand, perfect match made in desi food heaven and a key to make everyone like spinach and ghee…. desi ghee, clarified butter. It gives a desi flavor boost to Paalak (spinach) and a very rice and tempting look as well.
If you make Paalak Chicken following this recipe, it will be a delight to see, smell and eat. So here we go ❤
- 1 chicken, 1.5 kilos, cut into 16 pcs.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tbspn miced garlic
- 1 tspn ginger paste
- 3 tomatoes, chopped fine
- Salt to taste
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tbspn red chilli powder
- 1 tspn turmeric powder
- 1 tbspn coriander seeds, coarsely ground
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 1 cup oil
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 1 big cardamom
- 1 tbspn ghee
- 2 bunches of Spinach (cleaned, washed and boiled)
- 5 small green chillies
- 1 bunch coriander
- 5 tbspns kasuri fenugreek leaves/ 2 cups fresh fenugreek leaves
- Heat oil in a pan and add cardamom, cinnamon and cumin. When they begin to crackle add onion and fry until they get brown. Add ginger and garlic, fry for a minute and add chicken. Fry until the chicken gets a golden color and add tomatoes and all the spices. Cook on high flame until the tomatoes are loose.
- Reduce the heat and cook covered until the chicken is 90% cooked.
- Meanwhile get everything given for Spinach in the food processor and grind it into a paste (medium coarse to fine).
- Add it in the chicken curry when chicken is ready and mix. Let it cook until the oil starts separating. Add 1 dollop of ghee for flavor and some green chillies and serve hot with rotis.