If you have got everything prepared, this recipe takes less than 7 minutes to cook perfect Shrimp Fried Rice, of course Thai style. What makes Thai fried rice different from other Asian fried rice is the onions we put in the beginning, Thai sweet chilli sauce to give it a bit of sweetness and the chilli paste which is made in a special way. In Bangkok, I like Shrimp fried rice from 2 places,
1. Mango Tree Restaurant at Suvarnabhumi International Airport and
2. Took Lae Dee food KIOSK at food town near Sukhmvit Road. Now the best things about this KIOSK are it is 24/7, always full, cheap, have all day breakfast and they cook live in front of you using quality fresh ingredients. So the cooking and cutting station is in the middle and it is surrounded by an oval shaped common table with hi chairs for customers. everything is cooked live and served directly from the wok. So I saw the lady making my order and from there I got this recipe which I am sharing with you.
- 2 cups Boiled thai jasmine rice (refrigerated for 1 hr atleast)
- 1 carrot cut into mini dices
- 3 spring onions (green part, chopped)
- ½ onion (sliced)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ¾ cup boiled peas
- 200 gms raw, peeled shrimps
- 1 tbspn vinegar
- 3 tbspns soy sauce
- Chilli paste (1tbspn red chilli flakes, 1 tbspn oil, 1 tbspn vinegar – mixed together for 1 hr)
- 1 tbspn thai sweet chilli sauce
- 4 tbspns cooking oil, 1 tbspn sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Heat oil in a wok and add prawns and onion, cook until they are translucent and add whisked eggs and cook until they are scrambled and 80% cooked.
- Now add all the veggies (except spring onion) and stir fry. Add rice, salt, pepper and all the sauces and stir fry on high flame until the rice gets caramelized. Throw in some spring onion and serve.