One of my favorite dishes………
- 3 ½ cups chickpeas/ 3 tins boiled chickpeas (I prefer uncooked dry chickpeas, soak them overnight in a deep mixing bowl with lots of water and they will be fine, ready to boil in the morning)
- 2 medium sized onions (sliced)
- 100g butter (optional, when I am making fancy fancy I top my dish with a small scoop of butter otherwise I prefer olive oil)
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tbspn ginger (freshly crushed)
- 1 tbspn garlic (minced)
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tbspns coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 tspn red chilli flakes
- 1 tbspn chaat masala
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 1 tspn cracked black pepper
- 1 tspn coriander powder
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 1 tspn chicken salt (reduce the amount of salt if you are adding this or chicken cube)
- 1 kg chicken pieces
TO BOIL CHICKPEAS
- Some water to boil chickpeas
- 1/3 tspn of baking soda
- ½ tspn cumin powder
- ½ tspn garam masala
- Some salt
-In a large saucepan with a lid, put soaked chickpeas with water, baking soda, cumin powder, garam masala and salt and boil covered until the chickpeas are very tender.
-Meanwhile they are boiling, in a separate large, deep pan, melt butter; add oil, ginger, garlic, red chilli flakes and chaat masala and fry. Add onion and fry until onion are golden brown.
-Add chicken and cook until the chicken is golden. Now add 1 cup of water and all the spices except garam masala.
-When the chicken is tender and very little water remains, add chickpeas with the water we used for boiling and stir.
-Cook on low heat to simmer.
-Top with some garam masala, coriander and chillies and serve hot with chapattis, naan, dahi, and red onion salad.