Achari aalu is my way of consuming potatoes…… People in Pakistan do make this dish but i dont know the recipe, this is my own recipe and its very quick and easy. Whenever I have made this dish, people have appreciated a lot, especially my sister. Do try this and enjoy the sour and spicy taste of Achari potatoes (potatoes in pickle masala) with pooris, naan, boiled rice or paratha.
- 4 large potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 medium potato boiled and mashed (no lumps)
- 2 onions chopped in a food processor
- 4 tbspns yogurt + ¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbspn red chilli powder
- 1 tspn nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 1 tspn tamarind chutney (optional)
- 4 – 8 curry leaves
- 1 tspn cumin powder
- ½ tspn saunf (fennel seed) powder
- 1 tspn garam masala powder
- ½ cup oil
- 1 tbspn ginger garlic paste
- 1 tspn fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 doda mirch (dried red chilli, bird’s eye chilli)
-Heat oil and fry ginger garlic paste in it for few minutes. Now add chopped onions and cook until they are brown. Add kasuri methi and fry for another few seconds.
-Now add all the spices except nigella seeds and mix well.
-Add diced potatoes and stir. Now add yogurt, nigella seeds, curry leaves and mashed potato and cook it covered on medium heat until the potatoes are tender.
-Dish out and serve with hot pooris, parathas or saada roti/ chapatti.