This is a very basic recipe of chicken croquettes, Soon I will be uploading the variations as well, stay tuned!
Something for your weekend tea party…..
- 120 gms butter
- 2 tbspns four
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to season
- ¼ tspn white pepper
- ½ tspn chicken salt
- ½ tspn onion powder
- ½ tspn garlic powder
- ½ tspn mustard powder
- 1 chicken breast (boiled and shredded)
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped (optional)
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg + 4 tbspns milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Chop the shallot and shred the chicken breast. Best is to use hands to shred the chicken as it will give it a strand texture.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and saute’ chopped shallot for 2 minutes or until it becomes translucent. Add flour and cook for 45 secs. Gradually add milk and use whisk to avoid lumps. Add onion powder, garlic powder and mustard powder and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Mix in the shredded chicken and green chillies and put aside to cool for 10 minutes or until it is easy to handle. Please do not refrigerate or cool completely otherwise it won’t be easy to mold it into croquette like shape.
- Put some oil on your hands and take a small ball of the mixture and shape it into an oval, like an egg. This mixture would make around 12 croquettes.
- Now get your breading station ready, flour (season with some salt and pepper or some Italian herbs), egg and milk (egg wash) and then bread crumbs. Now take one croquette, roll it into flour, dip it in egg mixture ad bread it with bread crumbs. Do the same with the rest and arrange them on a tray.
- Now if you are frying, refrigerate them for 15 minutes before deep frying like I did. And then deep fry until golden brown and crispy. Serve hot with ketchup.
- Or if you are baking, arrange them onto a baking tray linked with baking paper and bake for 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius. Serve hot with ketchup.