A very famous dish in Pakistani home cooking, but there is a technique to make it, there is a timing to put everything in to make it super special and delicious. If you follow all the instructions given below, you will get the most delicious Aalu Chicken shorba ever!!!!! Trust me mate 🙂
- 1 chicken (1.5 kilo)(skinless, cut into curry pieces, around 12pcs)
- 1.5 cups oil
- 3 onions (medium sized, cut into slices)
- 3 tomatoes (medium sized, cut into slices)
- 5 – 6 green chillies (2 chopped)
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- 4 – 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into big chunks (4 pieces per potato)
- 1 tbspn crushed ginger
- 1 tbspn crushed garlic
- 1 litre hot water
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- Salt to taste
- 1 chicken stock cube for extra flavour
- 1 tbspn red chilli powder
- ½ tspn Kashmiri chilli powder
- 4 pepper corns
- 4 cloves
- 1 tspn turmeric powder
- 1 tbspn coriander powder
- 1 tbspn cumin seeds, pan roasted and ground
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 1 tbspn dried fenugreek leaves (ground)
- 1 green cardamom
- Heat oil and fry onion until its golden and crispy. Add chicken, bay leaf, peppercorns, chicken cube, cinnamon, 2 green chillies, cloves, ginger and garlic. Fry until the chicken changes its colour.
- Add tomatoes and cook on high heat until the tomatoes are loose and cooked.
- Add all the spices (except fenugreek leaves and garam masala) and mix. Add a splash of hot water and stir fry on high heat. When the water dries, add potatoes and add another splash of hot water, half of the coriander and stir fry on high heat. Do this again for 3 times until potatoes are half cooked.
- Now add rest of the hot water and reduce the flame to low. Cover the pot and let it cook for 20 mins or until the oil comes up. Add garam masala, coriander and fenugreek leaves and serve hot with phulka.