A very simple and easy word to say but if cooked with this recipe, has a lot of flavor and chatkhara in it…. This is my very own recipe which is a crowd pleaser because I work hard on my daal roti ❤ 😀 Daal roti/ daal chaawal (daal with rice) is everything; its easy, its quick, its cheap, it is a great comfort food, it is nutritious, it is high in protien, it satisfies all the desi cravings….. what else you need from daal? 😀 (It is great for weight loss as well…. if not cooked this way 😀 because I make it rich by adding butter, sometimes ghee and cream to it)
But 1 thing for sure….. This is the best recipe for daaaaaal….. you will not find another one! I sometimes pair it with chicken haandi or any vegetable curry like aloo bengan, bhindi fry, aloo katli, etc. and sometimes with keema tikkian or shaaaaami kebab, hence it is a friendly dish which can create a spicy duo with anything 😀
- 1 cup moong daal
- 1 cup masoor daal
- 1 cup channa daal
- 2 chicken cubes/ 2 tbspns heapful chicken powder (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tbspn chilli flakes & powder
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 2 scoops desi ghee & a splash of olive oil
- 1 large onion (cut into thin rings)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 8 – 10 curry leaves
- 2 desi green chillies
- Fresh cream
- Green chillies
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Some garam masala (optional)
- Combine all the lentils in a mixing bowl and wash. Soak in warm water for about 2 hours. Discard the water.
- In a deep cooking pan, add lentils & 6 cups of water along with salt (if you are not using chicken cubes/ chicken salt), red chilli flakes and powder & turmeric. Bring everything to a boil and cook until it reaches the consistency of daal.
- Remove from flame and add some chopped green chillies & coriander.
- In a frying pan, melt some ghee and add a splash of oil. Fry onions until they are golden and crispy and add the other ingredients given for tadka. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and add it to daal. Stir.
- Scoop out in the serving bowl and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle some fresh cream/ cooking cream and garnish with leftover green chillies and coriander. Serve with boiled rice or paratha.