Smokey Kofta Biryani


This is LEGENDARY! It takes a lot of effort and time to make it but the result is amazing. People will love you for this and you will get paid for your effort in form of love and thank yous.

It is my own creation, made for some of my besties over a dinner party and they loves it. The tender, charcoal smoked meatballs and spicy potatoes with aromatic rice is a perfect combination to make anyone fall for you. ❤

Ayesha’s Kitchen

Ingredients:

FOR KOFTAS

  • ½ kg beef mince with fats
  • 2 onions fried
  • 1 tbspn ginger paste
  • 1 tbspn garlic paste
  • 7 – 8 green chillies (small)
  • A bunch of coriander
  • Few sprigs of mint
  • 1 tbspns Salt
  • 1 tbspns red chilli flakes (for extra hot)
  • 1 tbspn crushed anardana
  • 1 tbspn crushed cumin seeds
  • ½ tspn ground garam masala
  • 1 egg
  • Oil for shallow frying

FOR BIRYANI

  • 1 cup oil
  • 3 cups rice (soaked in cold water)
  • 3 onions sliced
  • 3 tomatoes crushed
  • 2 tbspns ginger and garlic (freshly crushed)
  • 6 – 8 dried plums soaked in hot water for 30 mins
  • 3 medium potatoes cut into big chunks
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 – 8 cloves
  • 1 tbspn black peppercorns
  • A small piece of aniseed
  • 2 large pieces of cinnamon
  • 2 black cardomoms
  • 2 green cardamoms
  • 1 tbspn cumin seeds
  • 1 tbspn coriander powder
  • Few drops of yellow food color
  • Few drops of kewra essense
  • Some lemon juice
  • 5 boiled eggs

FOR GARNISHING AND TEMPERING

  • 2 tbspns ghee
  • 1 fried crisp onion
  • Few lemon slices
  • Some chopped mint leaves
  • Some chopped coriander leaves
  • 3 – 4 curry leaves
  • Charcoal

Procedure:

  • For koftas/ meatballs, grind onion, chillies, mint, coriander and anar dana and add mince. Mix well on pulse and take out in a mixing bowl. Mix all the spices in egg and add it to the mincemeat mixture and mix well. Make small round balls, (size of golf ball) and refrigerate.
  • Meanwhile, boil biryani rice. Biryani rice should be cooked to 80% of the tenderness. This will help to maintain the shape of biryani rice. Remaining 20% will be cooked in dam.
  • Heat oil in a pan and fry onions, add ginger garlic and tomatoes. Mix well and when tomatoes are tender, add potatoes and all the spices and cook covered on low heat until the potatoes are tender and masala is made.
  • Meanwhile, fry koftas and temper them with coal. Keep aside until needed.
  • For tarka, fry 1 sliced onion until its crispy golden and add curry leaves. When the curry leaves begin to splatter, the tarka is ready.
  • In a separate pot, lay the 1st layer of rice, add tempered koftas, coriander, mint, green chillies, 2nd layer of rice, potato curry and the 3rd and the last layer of rice. Drizzle some yellow food color, kewra water, lemon juice and tarka. Cover and cook on dam for 10 minutes.
  • Take of the lid of the cook pot and very carefully mix the biryani. Serve hot with boiled egg. mint raita and fresh salad.

Ayesha’s Kitchen

Advertisements

5 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. tayyeba najurally
    May 03, 2017 @ 05:16:41

    Aslm what is anardana pls

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

    Reply

  2. Anila
    May 05, 2017 @ 10:33:34

    Thank you for helping me decide what to make for dinner tomorrow!

    Reply

  3. Anila
    May 25, 2017 @ 07:20:00

    Forgot to report back, made this for dinner and absolutely loved it! This recipe is a keeper, well done! The only change I made was I didn’t have beef kheema so I used chicken kheema. Thank you!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: