Chicken handi is one of the famous dishes of Pakistani desi restaurants. This is my version of boneless chicken handi and trust me this is the best one. Coal tempered boneless chicken cubes, cooking in light curry with basic and simple spices is a delight and a crowd pleaser on dinner table…. Try this recipe and let me know what you think by commenting below this post…..
- 1.5 kg cubed boneless chicken (mix of thigh and breast pieces)
- 3 medium – large size onions, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tbspns ginger and garlic, freshly crushed
- Green chillies (as you like)
- Fresh coriander, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tbspn fenugreek leaves, fresh or dried
- 1 cup oil + few drops for coal tempering
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbspn red chilli flakes
- 1 tspn carom seeds
- 1 tbspn coriander powder
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 1 tspn garam masala
- 1 tspn cracked black pepper
- 1 piece of cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- Heat oil in a deep pan and fry onion until they are translucent. Add ginger and garlic and fry until the mixture is golden brown. Add chicken and stir fry until it turns white. Add tomatoes and all the spices except black pepper and fenugreek leaves.
- Cook on high flame until the tomatoes lose the stiffness. Add whipped yogurt and mix. Cover and cook on medium heat. Meanwhile put a piece of coal on flame so it is ready when needed.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, check if the chicken is cooked and the oil has started to separate. If no, then cook for further 5 minutes. If yes, then turn off the flame, add cracked black pepper, green chillies, coriander and fenugreek leaves and temper it with coal.
- Dish out and garnish with green chillies and coriander.