Beef Korma is a famous wedding dish of rural Pakistan specially in the province of Punjab. Local people there call it “Kattay da salan”; “katta” as in calf and salan referring to a type of curry from Mughlai cuisine. Now it is becoming famous in urban home cooking as well. People make it on Eid al Adha and enjoy with their family and friends.
This is my very own recipe of beef korma and everyone in my family loves it. Tender veal curry pieces cooked in onion & yogurt based, mildly spiced, rich sauce served with hot naan or tandoori roti is just amayyyyy – zingggg!
1 kg beef curry pieces
2 medium sized onions (sliced)
1 cup yoghurt
2 tbspns ginger garlic (crushed)
3 cups water
Few drops kewra water (optional)
Salt to taste
1 tspn red chilli powder
1 tspn red chilli flakes
1 tspn Kashmiri red chilli powder
1 tspn turmeric
2 bay leaves
2 pieces of cinnamon
1 tbspn crushed cumin
1 tbspn coriander powder
1 tspn garam masala
1/2 tspn black pepper
– Pressure cook meat in 3 cups of water, 1 tbspn ginger garlic and salt. Cook until meat is 70% done.
– Heat oil and ghee in cooking pan and fry onions until they are golden and crispy. Take out the fried onion and let it cool down. Remove the oil pan from heat and let it cool down a bit as well.
– Put the oil pan on the flame again and add all the spices except black pepper and garam masala and stir. Add remaining ginger garlic paste and stir for few seconds. Scoop out the meat from the stock and add it to the spice mix and fry on medium heat. Add some stock as well and leave it on low heat to simmer.
– Crush the fried onions into coarse paste (in mortar and pestle) and add yogurt, garam masala and black pepper and mix.
– Add the yogurt mix to the meat and stir. Add remaining stock, check for salt, adjust the salt if needed, stir and put the lid on. Add kewra water.
– Cook covered for 20 to 25 minutes on low – medium heat.
– Check if the meat is tender and the oil is separated from the curry. If not, give another 5 to 10 minutes.
– Korma is ready!!!! Take it out in the serving dish and serve hot with rotis.