Chicken Ginger is one of the popular dishes of Pakistani Home cooking made of fresh ginger cut into juliennes, simmered yogurt and fried onion curry garnished with fresh green coriander and green chillies. There are severl other recipes of this dish as well, which are with boneless chicken as well, I will upload them as well, soon. This is my favorite as it does not require too many ingredients and everything is pretty handy, easy and quick …..
- 1.5 kg chicken curry pieces (skinless)
- 3 medium sized onions (sliced)
- 2 cups yogurt (lightly whipped)
- Some salt
- 1 tbspn freshly crushed ginger
- 3 tbspns julienne ginger
- 1 cup oil
- ½ tspn cumin
- Some salt
- Some red chilli powder/ flakes
- ½ tspn turmeric powder
- Few pieces of cloves
- Few pieces of black peppercorns
- ½ cup fresh green coriander chopped
- ½ cup fresh green chillies (some chopped, some slit cuts)
- 1 tbspn kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
-In a thick bottomed karai (Indian Wok), fry onion until they are golden. Take it out on a paper towel. On high flame, in the same oil, add crushed ginger and half of the ginger juliennes. When it starts changing its color add chicken. Fry until the chicken is golden. Add spices and stir again.
-Now add yogurt and fried onion. Mix well and reduce the flame to medium. Cook it covered until the chicken is cooked and tender and the oil comes to the surface. Now add rest of the ginger and kasuri methi. Give it a final stir and take it out in the serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander and chillies. Serve hot with naan or tandoori roti.